The Presidential Medallion and Chain of Office symbolize the authority vested in the Office of the President by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia.
The medallion, newly struck to reflect the university’s name change, incorporates the official seal of the university. The Chain of Office, designed in 1972 by Robert W. Ebendorf, an award-winning jewelry and metal specialist, is comprised of blue and red stones, the colors of the GHSU commencement cap, and links that are etched with the names of GHSU’s founders and its five colleges.
Georgia Health Sciences University expresses great appreciation to Dr. Henry Gordon Davis Jr. (Medical College of Georgia Class of 1945) and his wife, Francis Marion Davis, of Sylvester, Georgia, for their sustained support. Dr. and Mrs. Davis donated the original Presidential Medallion, Chain of Office and a display case to the university in 1972 and provided the funding to update the medallion this year following the institution’s renaming to Georgia Health Sciences University.