Procedures to Establish Official Sections
Within an Existing Georgia Health Sciences
University Academic Unit
version (PDF file)
- Sections will be formed to address a particular
healthcare need or to recognize a subspecialty within a
- There should be at least two FTE departmental faculty
members associated with the program.
- The magnitude of the section’s responsibility in
terms of (a) patient care volume, (b) research activities,
and (c) educational volume must justify the sectional
designation as opposed to a program, function or service
- Submit recommendation for approval to establish a
section to the Dean of the School. Include documents that
support the minimum requirements.
- Upon approval of the Dean, the recommendation will be
submitted to the Office of Faculty Affairs for policy
review prior to submitting the recommendation to the
Provost and President for institutional approval.
- Approval notification with instructions to proceed with
the Action Process will be forwarded to the Dean’s
- Appointment of the Section Chief must be recommended
through the Faculty Action and Approval Process (FAAP).
However, faculty assigned to the Section may be listed in
the justification section of the Action Form recommended
the Section Chief.
Origination - July 28, 1987 Medical College
of Georgia, Dean’s Office Establishment of
Office of Faculty Affairs Revised
Recommendation Process 07/20/01 04/14/03