Michiko Shimoda, PhD
Our laboratory studies the mechanisms of B cell differentiation during immune and
autoimmune response. Particularly we are interested in how generation, maintenance
and plasma cell differentiation of memory B cells is regulated through interactions
with non-immune stromal cells such as fibroblasts, endothelial cells and epithelial
cells. We are also interested in how B cells can regulate immune and autoimmune response
through interaction with T cells. Active projects include: (1) the role of MHC-II-restricted
antigen presentation in memory B cell homeostasis; (2) the role of stromal cells in
maintenance and plasma cell differentiation of memory B cells; (3) the role of MHC-II-restricted
antigen presentation in B cell regulatory function in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis;
and (4) the role of ectopic CD40L expression on B cells in autoantibody production.
Selected recent publications:
- Shimoda, M. and Koni, P.A. (2007). MHC-resticted B cell antigen presentation in memory B cell
maintenance and differentiation. Critic. Rev. Immunol. 27:47.
- Shimoda, M., Li, T., Pihkala, J.P.S and Koni, P.A. (2006). Role of MHC-II on memoy B cells in
post- germinal center B cell homeostasis and memory response. J. Immunol. 196: 2122-2133.
- Shimoda, M., Mmanywa, F., Joshi, S.K., Li, T., Miyake, K., Pihkala, J.P.S., Abbas, J.A. and Koni,
P.A. (2006). Conditional ablation of MHC-II suggests and indirect role for MHC-II
in regulatory CD4 T cell maintenance. J. Immunol. 196: 1597-1607.
- Shimoda, M., Nakamura, T., Takahashi, Y., Asanuma, H., Tamura, S.-I., Kurata, T., Mizuochi,T.,
Azuma, N., Kanno, C. and Takemori, T. (2001). Isotype-specific selection of high-affinity
memory B cells in nasal-associated lymphoid tissue. J. Exp. Med. 194: 1597-1607.
- Fujiwara, J., Fujii, M., Shimoda, M., and Ayusawa, D. (2000). Identification of the UV-responsive sequence in the human
tissue plasminogen activator gene. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 64: 1084-1087.
- Shimoda, M., Inoue, Y., Azuma, N. and Kanno, C. (1999). Local antibody response in Peyer's patches
to orally administered dietary protein antigen. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 63:
- Takahashi, Y., Cerasoli, D.M., Dal Porto, J. M., Shimoda, M., Freund, R., Fang, W., Telander, D. G., Malvey, E.-N., Muller, D. l., Behrens, T.
W. and Kelsoe, G. (1999). Relaxed negative selection in germinal centers and impaired
affinity maturation in bcl-xL transgenic mice. J. Exp. Med. 190: 399-410.
- Shimoda, M., Inoue, Y., Azuma, N. and Kanno, C. (1999). Natural polyreactive IgA antibodies
produced in mouse Peyer's patches. Immunology 97: 9-17.
- Shimoda, M., Inoue, Y., Ametani, A., Tsuji, N. M., Kurisaki, J., Azuma, N. and Kanno, C. (1998).
Anti-DNA autoantibodies are spontaneously generated in mouse Peyer's patches. Immunology
- Han, S., Dillon, S. R., Zheng, B., Shimoda, M., Schlissel, M. and Kelsoe, G. (1997). V(D)J recombinase activity in a subset of
germinal center B lymphocytes. Science 278: 301-305.