International Services > Current and Prospective Employees
Prospective GHSU Employees
Welcome to Georgia Health Sciences University!
The International Services Office provides processing for H-1B, TN, E-3 and O-1 sponsorship
by GHSU. The decision to sponsor an employee for any status rests with the hiring
department. Departments, however, may not be aware of current requirements and processing
timelines for attaining nonimmigrant status. For this reason, if sponsorship for
nonimmigrant status is required for your employment at GHSU, it is best to confirm
that our office has assessed your situation before a final determination is made on
start date, position and salary for your employment.
Due to personnel limitations, we will only correspond with applicants for whom we
have received a department request from the hiring unit.
Some important points to keep in mind about your transition to employment at GHSU:
- Change of status
- For those currently in F-1 or J-1 status, a change of status will usually require
a 3-6 month processing time. If your department wishes to transfer your F or J status
to GHSU, they should contact International Student and Scholar Services. This is often the fastest way to begin employment at GHSU.
- Foreign nationals in B-1 or B-2 status are not eligible for a change of status to
H-1B, TN, E-3 or O-1 status. Individuals in B-1 or B-2 may be eligible for consular
processing for one of these status’ in their home country.
- J-1 applicants subject to 212(e) require an I-612 approval notice to be eligible for
- H-1B transfers
- While H-1B transfers take less time than change of status cases, they can still require
three months to secure employment eligibility for a new hire. H-1B employee’s status in the U.S. is dependent on employment and there is no recognized
grace period once employment has terminated. For this reason, it is critically important
that those currently in H-1B status do not terminate employment with their current
employer until we have advised it is safe to do so.
- H-1B transfers will also need to supply copies of their most recent three paystubs
as evidence of their valid status
- GHSU does not sponsor medical or dental residents for H-1B status
- Applicants who require sponsorship for nonimmigrant status must have met the minimum
requirements of the position when the petition is submitted to USCIS. Petitions cannot
be submitted for pending graduates.
- For applicants abroad
- Visa processing can take a few days to a few weeks, depending on numerous factors.
IPSO has no means to expedite visa processing. If you are advised your case has been
selected for “administrative processing” expect delays.
- If you do not have a U.S. social security number, you will need to apply for one after
arriving in Augusta. Expect this process to take 2-3 weeks. You will not be eligible
for employment at GHSU until you have a social security number.
The International and Postdoctoral Services Office takes pride in its customer service.
We strive to consider both the department’s interests and candidate’s career path
in assessing immigration options. We urge applicants to consider that each person’s
immigration circumstances are unique and what may be the case for friends and colleagues
may not apply to your situation.