Use of this form.
Use a letter to the Radiation Safety Office, RATHER THAN THIS FORM, for:
1. Minor changes to an existing approved proposal can be done by letter to the Radiation Safety Office. Minor changes include an increase in the limit for an already approved isotope and changes that obviously reduce the radiation exposure risk associated with a protocol. Such changes will result in an "amendment." State the reason for the requested change in your letter.
2. Personnel changes, adding or deleting approved laboratories, or removal of laboratory equipment.
(Deleting a laboratory or moving lab equipment in which radioactive material was used require
following the laboratory clearance procedure.)
Use THIS FORM for changes requiring review by the Non-Human Use Subcommittee:
1. New Proposals
2. Modifications to existing proposals that entail a change in the protocol.
Instructions for completion of form.
1. Forms must be typed. Keep one copy for your records. Submit the original to the Radiation Safety Office (RSO). Answer all questions -- any questions not applicable should be so indicated. The RSO will provide consultation and assistance in completing the form if requested.
2. The desired possession limit should take into account minimum order amounts, multiple orders on hand at one time, etc. You are limited to this possession limit. Amount in possession is the sum of all receipts minus disposal records which have been returned to the RSO.
3. If the radioactive materials are to be used in humans, submit either a Research Proposal to Use Radiation Producing Devices on Human Subjects form or the Proposal to Use Radiation Sources on or in Human Subjects form as applicable.
4. The RSO performs an initial review of the application and solicits additional information from the Principal Authorized User (PAU), if required. Comments and recommendations are then forwarded with the proposal to members of the Research Subcommittee for their review. If approved, you will be issued a PAU number. Recommendations of the Subcommittee and Radiation Safety Officer are incorporated as conditions of approval.
5. Responsibilities of the PAU are listed in the Radiation Safety Guide. The Radiation Safety Guide also provides rules and regulations for the use of radioactive material at MCG, MCGHI, and AVAMC. Copies are available from the Radiation Safety Office.
6. Mailing address: MCG
Radiation Safety Office
Phone # 721-9826
Fax # 721-9844